Expecting Twins

In 2007 we decided to try for a baby before looking into adoption. By November I was expecting and I was convinced that it was a boy. This time the pregnancy was complicated and after 6 weeks of bedrest I miscarried at 16 weeks.

We agreed that we would give it one more try before exploring adoption, and several months later I was pregnant again . . . this time of twins! My prayers for a girl and boy were answered and we made plans to welcome Zoe and Jean-Marc Jr. into our lives.

Things took an unexpected turn on November 30, when our baby boy’s water broke and I was admitted at Baptist Hospital of Kendall, where I stayed in strict bedrest, with my feet higher than my head, receiving plenty of fluids through an IV to help Jean-Marc Jr. regenerate the amniotic fluid.

I was scared of leaking more fluid, scared of moving, scared of all the things that could go wrong. Three times a day I was monitored for contractions, and the babies’ heartbeats were checked. I prayed every time that they would be fine.  Baby A, the boy, was easy to find, but baby B, the girl, moved around so much it was a challenge to find her.  I held my breath until the beautiful sound of her little heart came through, just like the sound of a wild horse gallopping freely through the meadows. Those were the only moments I was in peace, knowing that they were there and that they were alive.

A week went by.  Every day I prayed for more liquid. The next sonogram revealed 5 cl of fluid instead of 2.4 cl.  “I knew it,” said my mom. “See? Everything will turn out right, you’ll see. There’s no doubt in my mind.”

I gave thanks to God and started to believe that maybe, twin A would make it. I allowed myself to fantasize with how life would be with Jean-Marc Junior and Zoe in our lives. My mom and I discused when I should travel to Buenos Aires with the twins, and started planning the logistics of having the twins in my parents appartment.  I was afraid to get my hopes high but on the other hand, I wanted to believe that they would both be born healthy.

Then the fluid started to drop.  The sonogram during the second week revealed 3.8 cl.  “It’s still more than what you had when you were admitted,” said my mom.  “Next week it will go up, for sure.”

Another week passed.  My mother spent most of the day with me, keeping me company, lifting my spirits.  My dad visited me every afternoon, distracting me with stories from his volunteer job.  Either my mom or Jean-Marc stayed with me every night.  We counted the days to reach week 28.  I tried to read or watch TV but I was too worried to focus.  I cried.  I prayed all the time.  Every evening we crossed out a day on my big calendar on the wall where a picture of Sophie looked back at me.

A third week came to its end.  Jean-Marc bought me a small pink Christmas tree with pink lights and decorated the room.  For the first time, he took care of printing and sending our family Christmas card, which we taped on the side of my nightstand together with other cards and drawings that Julia and my nephews made for me.  I spent so much time looking at them that I learned every little detail by heart.

My sister Ceci visited often. “When will this be over?” I asked her one day. “I can’t deal any more with the waiting, the fear, the uncertainty of what might happen.”

She dug into her oversized purse and took out a big leather bound book.  A keychain and two pens fell out.

“I selected some scriptures that might help you,” she said.

She opened the Bible and looked for a verse.

“Here it is.  ‘The Lord is my shepard, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul’,” she read solemnly.

“This one is perfect for you . . . you have to lie down and you need lots of water . . . “ she added.

That set me off laughing.  I wiped off some tears of laughter and realized I couldn’t remember the last time I had laughed like that.

“Seriously now,” she said.  “God is in control.  He has a plan for you.  We don’t know what it is yet, but rest assured that it will be good for you.”

It certainly sounded nice, and I wished I could fully believe it.

Some days later I had a couple of contractions.  Then nothing. The fluid for twin A dropped to 3.2 cl.  The bed was more inclined with the feet higher than the head.  My IV had to be changed every 3 days, and we soon ran out of easy-to-find veins. Many times the IV was placed on the top of the hand, which made it very uncomfortable to move the wrist. The antibiotic I received twice a day burned when it went in. The physical discomfort grew by the week, but it was nothing compared to the anxiety I felt, the uncertainty of my babies lives.

On the night of December 25 my contractions started.  I was exactly 24 weeks pregnant. A full term pregnancy is 40 weeks. Babies are considered “viable” at week 24, although 50% of children born so early have significant medical conditions associated to their prematurity.

“Try to relax and drink more water,” the nurse said.  But the contractions grew stronger and closer, unstoppable as a tide.  A couple hours later, they were coming every three minutes, and very painful. The doctors arrived and a sonogram was ordered.

“We’re doing a c-section now,” Del Boca said in a loud and authoritative voice.

The nurses started to prepare me.  “Come on, we don’t have time, go!” he said to them.  I was afraid, and crying.  I barely had time to kiss my husband good-bye.

Ceci, who had just arrived, was the only person smiling in the room.  “Everything will be fine,” she said, and all of a sudden a sensation of tranquility came over me. Yes, I thought, what was meant to happen would happen, and it would happen now.

They rushed me through the hallways and into the operating room.  “We don’t have time for an epidural,” said doctor Del Boca in a rushed tone.  “We’re going to intubate you to put you down in seconds.”

I nodded.

“Hurry, we don’t have time,” he said to the anesthesiologist.  I was smiling as I lost consciousness.

Advertisements

About Guadalupe

Mom of a 24 week beautiful girl who is now 5 years old. Love spending time with the family, reading and writing. In a nutshell... "Above all things guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 4:23
This entry was posted in premature birth, twins and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Expecting Twins

1. glaumaurano says:

Excellent. You are writting! It remind me a conversation we had about writting…
    Your history is very emotional.
    Althouth it was hard, it is good to see that you have your Zoe and still have plans to grow family.
    Congrats with all my admiration.

2. Cida Vasconcelos says:

Hi Guada, I seams that you´re writing my story. I had same problems as you did. SAME. First pregnancy I had lost with 17 weeks in my wedding day. Instead of a honeymoon we had hours of hospital, contractions and a dead baby boy. Next time I had the same situation you had with the twins, but just with my Felipe, to lose him at 22 week, after more than 2 weeks in total rest in a hospital. Differences are that I just had my husband with me. My family lives in Rio and nobody came to be with us. But I always had God in my heart and this was what made me strong all the time. After that I lost 2 times more, until we decided to adopt, and tomorrow Catarina is doing 1 year with us. A quick summary, from whom does not have patience and dedication enough to write a blog. Go on my friend… your words, for sure, will inspire someone else… Congratulations!

• Cida, I cannot believe so many coincidences! And the pregnancy I lost at 16 weeks, well, my wedding was during the weeks of bed rest, so I got married in the back yard of my house, I walked to the garden, sat on a lounge chair, got married, toasted with a glass of milk, and went back to bed. Your Catarina is so beautiful, I hope to meet her sometime! Love, Guadalupe

3. Ursula Gamio says:

Guadi! Que hermoso que compartas tu historia con el mundo! Me encanto el anecdota de Ceci – you have to lie down and need lots of water – me hizo reir y acordarme de los comentarios que solo Ceci sabe hacer! Me va a encantar seguir tu blog… siempre has sido un gran ejemplo para mi de lo que la fuerza del amor puede lograr. Tienes un corazon INMENSO y aplaudo la decision de adoptar! Que hermoso!!! Besos y te quiero mucho!!!

4. Mariana Gallo says:

Ay prima Guada, ya lo leí tres veces….. Que fortaleza, que admiración!!! Un beso grande desde Bs. As. Nos vemos en unos días!!

5. Jorge says:

Me estás haciendo revivir los momentos más fuertes de mi vida. Te quiero mucho.

6. Julieta Rocotovich says:

Guada leer tu blog y recordar tu historia es una inspiracion y ejemplo de vida. Los felicito por la decision de adoptar. Les deseo lo mejor. Besos

7. Ceci Hugony says:

Guadi … me acuerdo de cada minuto como si fuera ayer …. que increÍble poder volver a vivirlo y tener la certeza en el corazón que Dios tenía, tiene y siempre va a tener los MEJORES PLANES PARA VOS … Jeremías 29:11. TE ADORO!!!!

8. Luga says:

Guada, tenes q subir al menos dos post por semana, la espera es demasiado larga! demasiado! Que intenso todo, tambien me acuerdo como si fuera ayer, cada mail de mamu, cada comentario q nos llegaba. ufffff! =) Te esperamos en Baires!

9. Maria Isabel Cardona says:

Guada, eres una gran mujer con una fortaleza increible…Dios te ha bendecido con tu princesa Zoe que sin duda a heredado esa fuerza y ganas de vivir que tu le has trasmitido desde que estaba dentro de ti. Te quiero mucho amiga!

10. Elizabeth says:

Guady, leer tu reconto de lo sucedido me trae muchos recuerdos a la mente. Increible todo lo que has tenido que pasar y tambien increible como el tiempo te ha fortalecido y la buena dicha acompaniado. Tu historia me sigue inspirando, te admiro mucho y celebro tu idea de compartir esta etapa de tu vida con nosotros. Felicidades!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Margarita says:

IDOLA!!! TE QUIERO MUCHO… y es totalmente admirable como seguis adelante. te mando un beso ENORMEEEE

12. margarita Gallo says:

Guadita, cuanto hemos vivido juntas… momentos tan difíciles pero finalmente bien recompensados… leo lo que escribes y lo revivo con tal intensidad que parece que fuera ayer, pero no: no fue ayer. Hay una personita que ilumina como el sol, con ojos color mar que nos llena de alegría y pronto (mañana!) vendrá a visitarnos a Buenos Aires contigo.
    Supongo que por algo pasan las cosas, aunque a veces cuesta entenderlas, aceptarlas. Pero confío en Dios totalmente. Las experiencias que Jean-Marc y vos han tenido, han luchado y han pasado juntos los convierte en mejores personas, con más fuerza y unión entre Uds.
    Y son mi ejemplo de lucha por un objetivo de vida.